UC San Diego SearchMenu
bicycles on campus

FAQs – Advanced Placement (AP) Exams

Answers to questions about AP test scores

I can't find my College Board test scores on MyApplication - where are they?

AP grade reports for tests taken in May are sent to the colleges or universities you designated beginning July 15. You can expect actual delivery by July 22. You should have designated the institution to which your grade reports should be sent to on your answer sheets or on subsequent grade report requests.

Some grade reports take longer to reach us for three main reasons:

  1. inconsistent student identification information;
  2. late return of exam materials to the AP program; and
  3. some students test late using an alternative form of the exam.

If you requested your exams in May and they qualify for academic credit, the scores and credit will display on TritonLink in the student’s Academic History by July 25.

What do I do if I've confirmed with College Board that all my scores were sent, but I still can't find them on MyApplication?

If your tests are not showing* on MyApplication and you have confirmed with College Board that all your scores were sent to us and two weeks have passed, please email us at receiptoftestscore@ad.ucsd.edu with the following information:

  • date/s you requested your scores from College Board
  • names used each time you took the exam (even if it only varies by the inclusion or exclusion of a middle initial)
  • the year in which you took the exams
  • the method of delivery you chose—one week or rush delivery.

* Make certain you selected University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA (school code 004836). There are several other universities in San Diego so it is important you select the correct school.

What can I do if I requested my test scores after the month of May?

If you requested your tests after the month of May, we might not receive your test scores by the July 15 deadline. Therefore we cannot guarantee these scores will be posted in time for your enrollment. Tests are processed in the order they are received. Please allow a minimum of two weeks after you receive your confirmation from College Board that your scores have been sent. This will allow processing time for credit to be posted in MyApplication.

I provided inconsistent information on my tests. What should I do?

If the name you used varied in each testing sitting, College Board will not be able to match your name and will not be able to send us one grade report for the cumulative tests taken. If this is the case, you will need to request from College Board that a grade report, including AP grades from all prior years, be sent to UC San Diego

What is the College Board code for UC San Diego?

The number to use for College Board is 004836.

Why is it important that I send in my AP English Language and/or AP English Composition Scores?

A score of 3 or higher fulfills the UC Entry Level Writing Requirement.

Why is it important that I send in my AP Calculus scores?

AP Calculus scores are used to verify prerequisites for math courses. Scores of 3 or higher on the AP calculus AB exam earn 4 units of math credit (8 units for BC scores of 3 or higher). Scores of 2 may be used to place into introductory calculus courses (see UC San Diego General Catalog - Advanced Placement Credit).

If you have any questions regarding your math placement, please visit the Math Testing and Placement website or contact the Math Testing and Placement office at mathtesting@ucsd.edu.

I've taken AP Calculus tests but have not sent my scores yet. What should I do?

If you have received:

  • an AP calculus AB score of 2 or higher; or
  • a BC score of 3 or higher; or
  • if you received a BC score of 1 or 2 WITH an AB subgrade of 2 or higher,

then you should request from the College Board that your AP Calculus scores be sent to UC San Diego immediately.

(NOTE: AP Calculus AB scores of 1 or BC scores of 1 or 2 WITH an AB subgrade of 1 will not satisfy any prerequisites for math courses.)

Where can I look to be sure my AP Calculus scores have been sent here?

Check your AP Student Grade Report. If the College Code 4836 is listed, then your scores have been sent to the UC San Diego Admissions Office.

Since your AP calculus scores may not be received and posted before the online enrollment period, you should also send a copy of your AP Student Grade Reports showing your AP Calculus score to the Math Testing and Placement Office (fax 858-534-1011 or email mathtesting@ucsd.edu) as early as possible.

Include your PID, your desired math placement, and your contact information on the fax or email. Once the Math Testing and Placement Office has received your AP Student Grade Report, they will pre-authorize you to enroll in your desired math course subject to the prerequisite you met and the timely receipt of your fax or email.

How do I request IB transcripts?

To request International Baccalaureate (IB) transcripts, go to the IB website to read FAQs about transcripts and to an information page with a link to the form to request that your transcripts be sent to a university in the United States.

In order to complete the request form, you may need some of the following information:

  • Full university mailing address:

    University of California, San Diego
    Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools
    9500 Gilman Dr. # 0021
    La Jolla, CA 92093-0021
    United States

  • Contact us:
    • name: Michelle Ransom
    • email: mransom@ucsd.edu
    • phone number: 858-534-4208
    • fax number: 858-822-4896