Directions and Parking
Parking directions vary depending on the time of year and construction activity/detours. Check this page a few days prior to your tour for the latest information.
Download a printable map and directions (PDF)
Park in Hopkins Parking Structure, then walk to the Triton Center (.5 mile walk).
Park in the Gilman Parking Structure or Lot P406, then walk to the Triton Center (short walk).
Paying for parking:
Parking at meters is strongly discouraged.
Meters do not allow enough time to complete a Triton Tour.
UC San Diego is located adjacent to the I-5 freeway, between Gilman Drive to the south and Genesee Avenue to the north.
Directions from I-5 to Hopkins Parking Structure (weekdays)
- Exit Genesee Avenue (exit 29) and go west. (Please note: exit is under construction. Expect delays during rush hours.)
- Proceed to the third light at the top of the hill.
- Turn left onto North Torrey Pines Road.
- Turn left onto North Point Drive.
- Proceed on North Point Drive, which will be become Hopkins Drive. After you pass a large sports field on your right, Hopkins Parking Structure will be on your right at the stop sign intersection of Hopkins Drive and Voigt Lane.
Directions from I-5 to Gilman Parking Structure and Lot P406 (Saturdays)
- Exit La Jolla Village Drive (exit 28) and go west.
- Turn right at first stoplight, Villa La Jolla Drive, and get in the left lane.
- Drive straight to enter Gilman Parking Structure. For Lot P406, turn right on Gilman Drive and make the first left.
Triton Tours depart from the Triton Center, first floor of the Student Services Center. Download the map.
From Hopkins Parking Structure, it’s a 0.5 mile walk:
- Exit Hopkins Parking structure onto Hopkins Drive and walk south. This is now Hopkins Lane.
- Walk south on Hopkins Lane. You will see Geisel Library to your left. Follow the sidewalk to the left toward Library Walk.
- Turn right onto Library Walk; keep going, beyond the Bookstore.
- Turn left onto Rupertus Way.
- You will walk across Myers Drive. You'll see the 5-story Student Services Center straight ahead of you on your left.
- The Triton Center (point of departure for tours) is located on the first level, in the southwest corner.
From Gilman Parking Structure or Lot P406, it’s a short walk:
- Walk north along Russell Drive.
- Turn left onto Rupertus Way.
- You'll see the 5-story Student Services Center ahead of you, slightly to your right.
Please give this information to your Transportation Department and bus driver prior to your tour date.
- Allow adequate time for construction on campus and getting to the Campus Tours Office.
- When unloading, please keep a close eye on your students.
Directions to Tour Location:
- From Interstate 5, exit La Jolla Village Drive (exit 28) and go west.
- Go past the stoplight at Villa La Jolla Drive and get in the right lane.
- Take the right-hand turnoff (Gilman Drive).
- Turn right onto Gilman Drive.
- Turn left onto Myers Drive at stoplight.
- Turn right at the stop sign onto Rupertus Way.
- Drop off students and chaperones at the shuttle/bus stop on the right.
- Chaperones need to check in at the Campus Tours Office upon arrival; it's directly across the street.
Bus drivers must continue to parking – please note that parking is not permitted in MTS/city/shuttle bus zones:
- At the end of Rupertus Way, turn right onto Russell Lane.
- Turn left at the stoplight onto Gilman Drive.
- Turn right at the stop sign onto Voigt Drive.
- Cross over the freeway and go past Preuss School (it's on your left).
- Turn left into parking lot P705.
- Buses with E (exempt) plates may park anywhere in this lot for free.
- Buses without E (exempt) plates will need a parking permit for each designated parking space.
- Purchase permit(s) at the machine in the lot, or ahead of time at the Visitor Information Center on Gilman Drive. If the driver is staying with the bus, no fee is required.