Preparing to Transfer
- Plan ahead and complete as many courses as possible to prepare for your chosen major.
- Visit the Transfer Pathways website for a roadmap to 10 of the most popular majors on UC campuses.
- If you are applying to an Impacted Major (majors with limited enrollment), you are required to complete all lower-division major courses prior to transferring.
- UCSD's academic departments specify courses you must take during the first two years of college to prepare for upper-division study in your major. See the UCSD General Catalog for a list of major prerequisites or the departmental website for a specific major.
- UCSD has established major preparation articulation agreements with many California community colleges. Visit the ASSIST website to find out how your coursework might transfer to UC San Diego.
- Some majors admit students to pre-major status only. See Majors With Pre-major Status to find these majors.
- Complete lower-division GE requirements before transferring to enjoy more flexibility in selecting courses once you enroll at UC San Diego and to reduce your time to graduation.
- Each of UC San Diego's six colleges has its own GE requirements, so keep that in mind when choosing your community college courses.
Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is a series of California community college courses that meet UC San Diego lower-division general education (GE) requirements at UC San Diego's Muir, Marshall, Roosevelt, Sixth and Warren colleges.
If you plan to follow the IGETC, consider:
- students who follow IGETC are also welcome at Revelle College, but additional coursework may be required to fulfill GE requirements;
- partial IGETC is also possible – this is useful if you've chosen a pre-major that requires a lower-division sequence of coursework once you get to UC San Diego;
- following IGETC can make your path to graduation easier – once you transfer, you can concentrate on your major field of study.
To find out what courses are in the IGETC, contact the transfer center at your community college and check the ASSIST website
for details on IGETC course agreements.
This online tool is designed to help you track your progress toward meeting UC's minimum requirements, and allows UC staff to communicate important information to you quickly.
Visit UC TAP to get started.
Visit ASSIST to find courses at your college that:
- are transferable to UC San Diego
- meet lower-division major and GE requirements