Transfer Admission Guarantee: Fall 2013
The Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) program offers guaranteed admission to UC San Diego for students who complete a core set of courses at a California community college a full term prior to transferring.
Note: The TAG program is being phased out and the last available term for TAG admission will be Fall 2014. To apply for fall 2014, you must submit your TAG online application – and the UC application for admission – in fall 2013.
This page is for students submitting applications in the fall of 2012 for the Fall 2013 term.
Download the current TAG flyer (PDF).
- Admission to a particular major is not guaranteed
- Admission to a particular undergraduate college is not guaranteed
- You must be a California community college student. Do you meet the definition?
- You have been enrolled at one or more CCCs for at least 2 regular terms (excludes summer sessions)
- You have completed at least 30 semester (45 quarter) UC-transferable units at a CCC
- You are attending a CCC as your last college before UC San Diego admission (excludes summer sessions)
- You may be a:
- U.S. citizen
- International student (additional requirements apply)
- Permanent resident
- AB540 student
- Former UC student in good standing (former UC San Diego students not eligible)
- You must be applying for admission with junior status:
- 60 UC-transferable semester units (or 90 UC-transferable quarter units) completed by Spring 2013
- Complete the UC TAG online application form and submit within the September filing period.
- Submit your UC application for admission within the November filing period.
- Complete the TAG program requirements.
Note: The TAG online application form does not replace your UC application for admission. Though the online TAG application is a UC form, each campus's TAG program may have different requirements.
- TAG includes all California community colleges.
- Applications are accepted for Fall quarter only.
- You must be in good standing during your last regular term.
- Fill out and submit 2 applications:
- Full completion of Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is required.
- You must submit your IGETC certification form by the deadline July 15, 2013, for Fall quarter 2013 (IGETC completed by end of Spring 2013)
- An optional TAG summary for you and your community college counselor can be found on ASSIST, a site to help you see which of your courses will transfer — follow the sequence of choices under Explore Transfer Information, and you will find the summary form.
- You must earn a cumulative 3.5 minimum UC GPA earned by the end of Fall term 2012 and maintained through the end of Spring term 2013.
- Both of the UC English courses and the UC math course must be completed by the end of Fall 2012, prior to Fall 2013 admission.
- TAG is for students who transfer with junior standing. If you will have senior standing, TAG does not apply.
- Senior standing means you would have 90 or more UC-transferable semester units (or 135+ quarter units) from accredited four-year universities and community colleges, combined.
- You cannot reach senior standing with only community college units; in other words, if you have attended only community college (one or more), then no matter how many units you have completed, you are eligible for the TAG program. Please note that a maximum of 70 UC transferable community college semester (or 105 quarter units) will be accepted toward graduation; any units beyond those limits may result in subject credit being awarded.
- All UC-transferable units completed at a four-year university apply toward the limit of 90 semester units (or 135 quarter units).
- Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate units earned prior to graduating from high school do not apply to the limit of 90 semester units (or 135 quarter units).
- Can have domestic (U.S.) coursework only.
- Will be held to English proficiency:
- TOEFL with a score of 83; OR
- IELTS with a score of 7; OR
- "B" grades or better in each of your 2 transferable English classes (note this is not a "B" average)
- Get the application online at the University of California website.
- Indicate your TAG eligibility by completing these boxes — you must checkboth:
- Rank your choice of UC San Diego colleges on the application, 1 to 6. Find out more about the colleges from their websites — you can start here. Note that TAG does not guarantee admission to any particular undergraduate college.
- Attend programs and talk to people who can help:
- On the application, indicate an alternate choice if you are applying for an impacted major. Note that TAG does not guarantee admission to any particular major.
- If you apply for a major that requires additional lower-division preparation, you must meet the screening criteria prior to being admitted into the major and/or complete those courses at UC San Diego.
- All transfer students are strongly advised to complete lower-division major requirements.
- Check the agreements between UC San Diego and your community college on ASSIST. The agreements are listed by major category. For more information about major-preparation coursework, talk to your community college counselor or email Transfer Student Services at UC San Diego.
Contact your community college advisor or Admissions and Relations with Schools
, by email
, by calling (858) 534-4831, or by meeting with an Admissions Officer
here on campus.