UC San Diego SearchMenu

Transfer Admission Requirements

Transfer applicants must complete minimum UC requirements. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee admission. Students admitted to UC San Diego exceed UC admission requirements.

UC requirements

All units must be completed by the end of spring term, prior to fall admission

  • Complete a minimum of 60 UC-transferable semester (90 quarter) units
  • Complete the UC-transferable college courses below with a C grade or better in each course. Each course must be 3 semester (4-5 quarter) units.
    • 2 English composition
    • 1 mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning
    • 4 courses from at least 2 of the following:
      • Arts and humanities
      • Physical and biological sciences
      • Social and behavioral sciences

UC San Diego requires a competitive GPA (minimum 3.0) in UC-transferable courses and good academic standing.

Major Preparation
  • If you are applying to an impacted major, you are required to complete all lower-division major courses prior to transferring.

See Preparing to Transfer for more on Major Preparation and General Education Requirements 


More than 90% of UC San Diego transfer students are from California community colleges. We also accept transfer students from other UC campuses and from four-year institutions.

We are unable to evaluate coursework for applicants prior to admission due to the high volume of applications. Ensure your courses are transferable:

  • California community college students: See the UC transferable course list on the ASSIST website.
  • Other UC campus students: All courses completed at a UC campus during a regular or summer session (excluding UC Extension) are transferable. UC Extension courses numbering 1–199 are also transferable.
  • All other transfer applicants: UC San Diego accepts transfer courses from accredited post-secondary institutions similar in content to those offered in the UC system.

Limits on transfer units

  • A maximum of 70 transferable semester units may be applied toward the B.A. or B.S. degree. Any transferable units beyond 70 may still be used to fulfill course requirements.
  • Students from 4-year institutions may not exceed 90 transferable semester units prior to enrollment.
  • Physical Education: A maximum of 4 semester (6 quarter) units of PE may be applied toward the 60-unit requirement to transfer. Courses must be listed on your community college's Transferable Course Agreement.
  • English as a Second Language: A maximum of 8 semester (12 quarter) units may be applied toward the 60-unit requirement to transfer. The courses must appear on your community college's Transferable Course Agreement.

Transfer from semester to quarter system

  • To avoid duplicating coursework, complete all courses within a sequence before transfer (i.e. Chemistry 1A-1B).

Definition: California community college student

To be considered a California community college (CCC) student, you must meet all 4 of these conditions:

  • Attend a CCC as the last college before being admitted to UC San Diego (excluding summer and winter intersessions), and
  • Complete at least 30 semester UC-transferable units (45 quarter units) at one or more CCCs, and
  • Be in good standing during your last regular term.


You are a transfer student if you enrolled in a regular session at a college or university after high school. (Summer sessions don't count.)

Transfer Resources

UC Online Application Guide
Application opens August 2014

Preparing to Transfer

UCSD General Catalog