The University of California Application opens for the academic term beginning next Fall.
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents: Complete FAFSA, use IRS data retrieval for tax information.
- Non-U.S. citizens: Complete California Dream Act Application if you are a California resident not eligible for FAFSA who attended a CA High School for 3 years or more and will or have already graduated (AB540 eligible).
November 1- 30
Submit the University of California Application by the November 30 deadline.
You'll receive an email from UC San Diego that confirms we received your application to our campus. Make sure you check all email folders to ensure you are receiving emails from us and they are not being marked as spam.
By March 2
File your FAFSA or California Dream Act application. Forms are also available from your school counselor. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis. See Financial Aid timeline for more details.
- List UC San Diego school code 001317 on your application.
- Meet the March 2 deadline to be considered for the best possible funding.
- Apply for a CAL grant.
Freshman admission decisions will be posted on the Applicant Portal by the end of March.
Applicants selected for Waitlist
Select applicants will be invited to opt in to our waitlist through their Applicant Portal.
Freshman applicants must opt in by 11:59 pm PST on April 15.
Being on the waitlist does not guarantee an offer of admission. We strongly urge students to accept another university’s admission offer before the appropriate deadline to ensure they have secured a spot at an institution.
By August 1, final decisions will be released to applicants who opt in to the waitlist. There is no appeal process for the waitlist.
Appeals for Applicants Not Offered Admission or Waitlist
Every application to UC San Diego is reviewed thoroughly by at least two readers. Admission decisions are made carefully to meet the enrollment goals of the university. Therefore, successful appeals are very rare.
Applicants who have new and compelling academic information that was not presented in their original application, may submit an appeal through their Applicant Portal by April 15. No appeals will be accepted after the deadline. Waitlisted students may not appeal.
Deadline to accept UC San Diego's offer of admission. Accept your offer and submit your Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) through the Applicant Portal.
Deadline to submit your final transcripts.
- Submit final, official transcripts: high school(s) plus any college/university transcripts.
- Refer to Required Documents from Schools Outside the United States if any of your coursework was taken outside the U.S.
AP and IB exam results are due no later than July 15.
- Please request results be sent to UC San Diego, school code: 004836.
- For more information, please refer to the Advanced Placement FAQs.